What if I don’t make progress

If your face has remained completely flaccid with no signs of movement or better muscle tone for more than four months you should visit your GP and ask for a referral to a specialist.  This is normally a consultant neurologist or a consultant Ears, Nose and Throat doctor.  You may have more permanent damage to the facial nerve which requires further investigations.

It is unusual not to make any progress at all especially if you are following all the advice and make your rehabilitation programme part of your daily routine.  If you are in any doubt about your progress or you should ask your GP for a referral to a clinician experienced in the management of facial palsy.

Further support

Bell’s Palsy Association (BPA)

Changing Faces (UK)

Facial Paralysis Foundation (USA)

Facial Palsy UK

Read more

Signs of progress